The building. The Sagarcho cannery
The Las Eretas Archaeological Museum occupies an interesting, old industrial building – the Sagarcho Cannery – built in the middle of the last century, which has been restored and fitted out to house the archaeological pieces found in the excavation (tools, ceramics, a child's grave, cinerary urns, remains of food, etc.) and other exhibits through which to understand these better. The museum also offers the public other services.
The building was constructed between 1958 and 1959 as a cannery shortly after Pablo Chocarro and Jesús Sagardoy founded the "Sagarcho" company (established in Tafalla on 26 June 1958). While the factory was in operation, it employed many residents of Berbinzana, mainly women, who produced canned tomatoes, peppers, peaches and asparagus sold under the label "Sagarcho".
It is a solid single-storey building with three bays forming a U-shape with a courtyard open to the southwest and gable roof, achieved with arches and reinforced concrete boards tensed by steel braces which rest on pillars made of solid bricks from a mechanical brick plant. The Museum occupies the central bay of the building.